Jan 18, 2021  
2011-2012 Undergraduate Academic Catalog | Expires Aug. 2018 

Residency Classification for Tuition Purposes

Residency status will be determined by the Registrar. However, the President is authorized to make exceptions within the spirit of this policy and is authorized to establish procedures and delegate authority for classifying and reclassifying students as Michigan residents or out-of-state residents.

It shall be the responsibility of the student to register under the proper residency classification, to advise the Office of the Registrar of possible changes in residency and to furnish all requested information.

Students who enroll at SVSU as non-residents shall continue to be so classified throughout their attendance unless the classification is changed as hereafter provided.

International students attending SVSU on F-1 or J-1 visas will not be considered for residency status.

Determination of Residency

For the purposes of this policy, a resident student is defined as a student domiciled in Michigan for a period of at least six months, with the intention of making Michigan his or her permanent home, or entering Michigan from another state of residency for the purpose of accepting an offer of permanent employment in this state with the intention of making Michigan his or her permanent home.

A non-resident student is defined as one who is domiciled in another state or foreign country. A student shall not be considered domiciled in Michigan unless he or she is in continuous physical residence in this state and intends to make Michigan his or her permanent home, not only while in attendance at SVSU but indefinitely thereafter and has no domicile or interest to be domiciled in another state or country. Upon qualifying for Michigan residency, a student in attendance at SVSU may apply for reclassification.

Documented evidence of the following facts and circumstances, although not necessarily conclusive evidence of domicile in Michigan, will be considered in support of the claim of resident status:

  1. Continuous presence in Michigan during a six-month period when not enrolled as a student.
  2. Reliance upon Michigan sources for financial support.
  3. Domicile in Michigan of family, guardian or other relatives or persons legally responsible for the student.
  4. Ownership and occupancy by the student of a home in Michigan.
  5. Payment of Michigan income tax as a resident.
  6. An alien who has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States.
  7. A legal alien and/or dependent(s) in possession of a valid United States H-1 or L-1 visa who enters the state of Michigan under the directive of his or her employer shall, upon submission of said visa and verification of said employment, be classified as a Michigan resident for tuition purposes as long as said visa remains valid.
  8. A student who enters the state of Michigan from another state of residency for the purpose of accepting employment as a cooperative education student or a student intern with a firm or industry in the state of Michigan shall, upon submission of verification of said employment, be classified as a Michigan resident for tuition purposes during his or her tenure of said classification.

A student may submit any other pertinent evidence of intent to make Michigan his or her domicile after completion of college or university attendance. Each case is determined on its own particular merits.

Special Circumstances Affecting Michigan Residency

A student who has been employed as a migrant worker in Michigan or whose parents have been so employed, will be granted resident status for purposes of tuition on the basis of proof of employment in this state for at least two months per calendar year in three of the five calendar years immediately preceding the initial enrollment of the student, or at least three months per calendar year in each of two of the five calendar years immediately preceding the initial enrollment. Enrollment in any of the summer terms constitutes one semester of enrollment.

If the family of a student with resident status moves out of Michigan the student will nevertheless maintain resident status for as long as he or she is continuously enrolled. Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment during at least two of three successive semesters. A student who withdraws will be regarded as having been enrolled, provided tuition was paid in full and the withdrawal occurred after the end of the refund period.

Appealing Residency Classification

Students may appeal residency by filing an Application for Consideration of State Residency for Tuition Purposes with the Office of the Registrar (forms are available from the Admissions Office), along with documented evidence in support of residency. The application and supporting evidence will be submitted to the Tuition Classification Appeal Board for determination. To be considered, the appeal and all supporting documents must be submitted by the 15th calendar day of the term.

Reclassification shall be effective for the semester in which the appeal application was filed and for each semester thereafter, so long as the circumstances upon which the reclassification was based shall remain unchanged. Appropriate refunds shall be made following such reclassification. The Tuition Classification Appeal Board shall consist of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Vice President for Administration and Business Affairs and the Vice President for Student Services and Enrollment Management.

Payment of Costs Not Covered by Financial Aid

Cash, personal and cashier’s checks may be used to pay for University expenses at the Cashier’s Office. Credit card payments are not accepted at the Cashier’s Office. Payments can also be made by logging in to mySVSU with a credit card or electronic check. For additional payment information, go to http://www.svsu.edu/aba/controllers-office/student-financial-services.html. Another alternative is the Cardinal Payment Plan. The Cardinal Payment Plan allows you to education and/or housing expenses on a monthly basis instead of larger, single-semester payments. The total plan amount will be divided over a period of months, determined by your enrollment date. For further details related to the Cardinal Payment Plan, please go to http://www.svsu.edu/cpp or contact Student Financial Services at (989) 964-4210 or the Cashier’s Officer at (989) 964-7406.


The current tuition and fee schedule is available online: www.svsu.edu/aba/departments/controllers-office/not-in-menu/tuition-and-fee-schedule.html. The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid provides estimates of the costs of attendance to assist with financial planning: http://www.svsu.edu/cost-of-attendance.html .