Policies and Procedures
1. A student must have earned an undergraduate degree from an approved college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (70 points) to enter the program.
2. Credits from other completed master’s degrees that were used for the first degree may not be transferred. Courses may not be duplicated.
3. As the TCFL M.A. is highly structured, courses must be taken in the sequence provided below.
4. Each student should meet regularly with his/her advisor.
5. Each student must maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA in graduate study; only grades of A,B, or C may be certified toward graduation.
6. Whenever the GPA drops below a 3.0 or a student receives two “C” grades in the program, the student will be placed on academic probation.
Continuation in the program will depend upon the recommendation of a program committee which will review the student’s records and make recommendations. A positive recommendation for continuance in the program must be approved by the Dean of the College of Education.
Application & Admission Requirements
Interested candidates who have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher must apply to and be admitted to Saginaw Valley State University/MING CHUAN University to be eligible to register for classes.
Applicants must submit the following in an admission packet:
For US Residents and non US Residents/Citizens:
1. A completed application form
2. In English, a one-page Personal Statement of accomplishments and academic goals
3. A current resume
4. A photocopy of the highest degree/diploma
5. In sealed envelopes, an official copy of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts from any college or university where college credit was earned
6. Two letters of recommendation in sealed envelopes
7. The non-refundable application fee: Per person: $90.00 US
8. A photocopy of the transcript of Chinese language proficiency: TOCFL B and B Level 4 or HSK 6 or ACTL Low Advanced (Chinese native speakers are waived)
Additional requirements for non-US citizens/residents:
1. A copy of the official passport
2. Evidence of Financial Statement (Original Document)
3. A photocopy of the transcript of English language proficiency
A. A minimum score of TOEFL IBT 79/ TOEFL CBT 213/ TOEFL paper test 550 or IELTS 6.5 (English native speakers are waived) is highly preferred.
B. A minimum score of TOEFL IBT 61/ TOEFL CBT 173/ TOEFL paper test 500 or IELTS 5.5 may be accepted upon approval by the graduate coordinator. No student can be admitted to the program whose English language scores are not at least equivalent to those required for those required for undergraduate admission.
Applications are to be submitted to Ming Chuan University at Saginaw Valley State University. All documentation and official transcripts must be submitted with the application.