Jul 22, 2024  
2011-2012 Undergraduate Academic Catalog | Expires Aug. 2018 

Undergraduate Admission

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

A number of different categories for undergraduate admission to Saginaw Valley State University are described below. Application forms for undergraduate admission to the University can be obtained from the Office of Admissions, high school and community college counseling offices or online at www.svsu.edu.

A check or money order made payable to SVSU for the $25 non-refundable application fee must accompany the application for admission

Pre-admission counseling and campus tours are available weekdays through the Office of Admissions, 178 Wickes Hall. Office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Special arrangements, other than our regular hours to visit, may be made with sufficient notice. For more information, call (989) 964-4200 or (800) 968-9500.

Admissions Procedures


First Time in College (Under 22 years of age)

An application for admission may be made any time after completion of the Junior year of high school. With acceptable American College Test (ACT) or Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores, students with a minimum six- or seven-semester high school grade point average of 2.50 will be admitted. Those with a minimum seven-semester grade point average of 2.00 may be admitted if test scores and extracurricular involvement indicate they likely would succeed in college.

A student applying for admission to a degree program is requested to submit the following:

  1. An application for admission.
  2. A high school transcript. Students currently enrolled in high school should send a transcript at the time application is made. Final Senior grades must be submitted by the high school as soon as possible after graduation.
  3. ACT or SAT test scores.

Students who have been out of school for at least one year and have graduated with a minimum 2.0 grade point average, or passing General Education Development (GED) test scores, and have not taken the ACT or SAT, are required to take Basic Skills Assessments in writing, reading and math. Students must achieve passing scores in writing and reading to be considered for admission.

First Time in College (22 years of age and over)

An application for admission may be made any time after graduation from high school, or successful completion of the GED. Students who have graduated from high school with a minimum grade point average of 2.00 and a minimum score on the ACT (17) or SAT (810) will be admitted. Students who have a high school diploma or GED, but have not completed the ACT or SAT, will be contacted by the Office of Admissions regarding any additional assessment that may be required to determine their ability and potential to succeed in college.

Home-Study Students

Students who have not attended an accredited public or private high school must submit all available academic records with their application, ACT or SAT results (ACT preferred) and schedule a personal interview.

Transfer Students

Admission normally will be granted to those with a minimum GPA of 2.00 in all college courses taken. A transfer student who has less than a 2.00 GPA may be admitted on probation. Students admitted on probation must obtain a minimum GPA of 2.00 their first semester in residence or be subject to academic dismissal. Transfer students must submit the following:

  1. An application for admission.
  2. Official college transcripts from all colleges and universities attended by the student.
  3. Proof of high school graduation or copy of GED.


Former SVSU students who have been absent for seven or more semesters, have graduated from SVSU, or have been academically dismissed, are required to apply for readmission. If you attended another college since leaving SVSU, arrange to have an official copy of your transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions. Readmitted students are subject to all regulations and requirements of the catalog current at the time of reenrollment.

Academically dismissed students may be readmitted on probation if they have not enrolled for at least two semesters. A personal interview is required.

Guest Students

A student in good academic standing at another college may apply for admission as a guest student. It is the guest student’s responsibility to determine whether courses taken at SVSU will satisfy the requirements of his or her program. A guest student must submit a Michigan Uniform Guest Application approved by the Registrar of the home institution. Guest students must reapply prior to each semester of enrollment at SVSU. Based on federal regulations, guest students are not eligible for financial aid at SVSU.

Applicants with Degrees

Applicants who hold baccalaureate or graduate degrees and who desire to enroll in one or more courses at SVSU without entering a degree program must submit an application for non-degree admission. Official transcripts of previous college work will not be required unless the student completes 31 undergraduate or nine graduate credits, or unless the applicant decides to work toward a degree. Students completing coursework for teacher certification should contact the College of Education for admission information.


Auditors are students who wish to take courses but who desire neither credits nor grades for these courses. The instructor for each course will determine the auditor’s responsibilities in the course. The tuition charge for the auditor is the same as that charged to the student who is taking the course for credit. Students wishing to audit courses must submit an application for admission.

High School Dual Enrollment

High school students wishing to enroll in one or more SVSU courses must have a minimum 2.50 cumulative grade point average and submit the following:

  1. An application for admission (no application fee required).
  2. A high school transcript (transcript should be sent at the time application is made).
  3. Submit dual enrollment form if school will be responsible for payment. Check with your counseling department for details.

College credits earned by high school students will apply toward a degree program at SVSU.

Financial support may be available through your high school and the state of Michigan. Check with your high school counselor for details.

Exploring the University

Exploring the University, a non-degree program of study, is for individuals who would like to take classes for personal enhancement or for those thinking about pursuing a college degree. Students are eligible to take up to 15 credits with a maximum of two courses per semester. Students must have a high school diploma or GED. SVSU will provide academic advising to help students select a course, prepare a class schedule and register. At any time students may enter a degree program at SVSU by following the admissions criteria outlined in the above categories. Credits earned through the program will transfer into the student’s degree program. Students are eligible for financial aid only after they have been admitted to a degree program. Contact the Admissions Office for an Exploring the University application and registration form. No application fee is required.

Additional Information and Assistance

For more information on admission categories, standards or requirements, call the Office of Admissions at (989) 964-4200 or (800) 968-9500, or send E-mail to admissions@svsu.edu. Information also is available on line through SVSU’s home page at www.svsu.edu.

International Student Admission


The University is authorized under federal law to enroll international students. A prospective student should write to the Director of International Programs, Saginaw Valley State University, University Center, Michigan 48710-0001; or, E-mail oip@svsu.edu. Instructions and application materials will be sent, and must be returned to the Office of International Programs. The application and additional information is available at www.svsu.edu/intprog . When the application is approved, an I-20 certificate will be mailed. Prospective students should not make plans to leave their country before receiving this certificate and obtaining a student visa from a U.S. consular office.

Prospective international students must present a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS score, or successfully complete SVSU’s English Language Program before beginning a degree program. Conditional admission is available for students meeting all requirements except for the English language requirement.

Tuition and fees for international students are the same as for U.S. students claiming residency in a state other than Michigan.

English Language Program

Saginaw Valley State University offers full-time, intensive English language training for students who need to improve their English language ability. English Language Program (ELP) courses include:

  • Preparation for study at SVSU or other colleges and universities.
  • Preparation for the TOEFL exam.
  • General use of written and spoken English.
  • Academic advisement (information about studying in the U.S.)
  • Orientation to U.S. culture and university life.

For information, contact the Office of International Programs, 160 Wickes Hall, at (989) 964-4473 (phone), (989) 964-6066 (fax), or send E-mail to oip@svsu.edu.

Articulation Agreements


SVSU’s articulation agreements highlight and promote special transfer arrangements made above and beyond the regular transfer path with a number of Michigan community colleges and Ontario colleges. To determine if your program and/or school is under one of these special agreements with SVSU, please contact the Office of Admissions at (989) 964-4200 or (800) 968-9500.

Articulation Agreement with Programs in Michigan State University’s College of Agriculture and Natural Resources

Michigan State University and SVSU have a formal agreement that will allow SVSU students to transfer into one of the majors within MSU’s College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. A student could attend SVSU for up to two years and then transfer to pursue his/her major through MSU’s College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Interested students should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (989) 964-4200 or (800) 968-9500 for further details regarding this initiative.