2013-2014 Graduate Academic Catalog THIS CATALOG IS ARCHIVED. BE SURE YOU ARE ACCESSING THE MOST ACCURATE CATALOG FOR YOU.
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.)
The Master of Business Administration program is accredited by AACSB International, the premier accrediting agency and service organization for business schools.
Mission and Objectives
The SVSU M.B.A. prepares students with the knowledge necessary to become leaders in profit and nonprofit organizations operating in a complex global environment. The objective of the program is to produce graduates who:
- Have a comprehensive view of the firm;
- Are able to use appropriate methodologies and tools for analyzing data to support managerial decisions;
- Have the creative and critical thinking skills necessary for decision making and problem solving;
- Effectively communicate ideas and lead a team;
- Identify the impact of demographic diversity and the influence of ethical, political, social, legal, environmental, and global issues on organizations.
An applicant to the M.B.A. program at Saginaw Valley State University may be granted full or provisional admission. The following formula is used to determine minimum admission requirements to the M.B.A. program:
GPA* x 200 + GMAT ≥1050 and GMAT ≥450
*The GPA used covers the last two years of a four-year bachelor’s degree
An applicant may be granted full admission by submitting the M.B.A. admission portfolio to the Office of Admissions. Approval will be determined by the Graduate Admissions committee of the College of Business and Management. The portfolio must include:
- A completed application form, including a written statement of purpose
- Undergraduate transcript(s)
- Results of the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
- Letters of recommendation that address competence and the ability of the applicant to complete the MBA program
- Results of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) from students whose native language is not English.
Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate competence in English. The College accepts a score of 550 or higher on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a passing score on an alternative test as determined by the College. SVSU’s English Language Program is available for students without a TOEFL score or whose TOEFL score is below the required minimum. Successful completion of the English Language Program does not guarantee acceptance to a graduate program at SVSU.
- Transcripts of relevant graduate work (if any)
- Statement of work experience and professional achievements (if any)
An applicant may be granted admission on a provisional basis if:
- The student has an undergraduate degree with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 from an accredited college or university but does not have a fully-completed M.B.A. admission portfolio. The student’s admission status will be adjusted to full when an approved M.B.A. admission portfolio is submitted to the Office of the Dean of the College of Business and Management.
- An applicant with an undergraduate degree with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 to 3.00, or a graduate of a non-accredited college or university, may be admitted by the Dean of the College of Business and Management on a provisional status. The student’s admission status will be changed to full admission when nine SVSU graduate credits are completed toward the M.B.A. with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or better, and when the student has submitted an approved M.B.A. admission portfolio to the Office of the Dean of the College of Business and Management.
- The student is an international applicant with a three year Bachelor’s degree from an approved institution of higher education may be eligible for admission to the Master’s Degree program based on the successful completion of a bridging program of 18-24 credits approved by the Program Director. The bridging program does not result in a Bachelor’s degree, but does allow for consideration for admission into the Master’s program.
Provisional students must complete their admission portfolio within one year of admission to the M.B.A. program. The Dean may extend the time requirements if the student can demonstrate any unusual circumstances that have hindered the completion of the admission package.
Students who are working on an undergraduate degree in accounting at SVSU may elect, at the end of their junior year, to apply for admission to the M.B.A. program. After completing both the four-year accounting degree requirements and the M.B.A. requirements, the student will be awarded both a B.B.A. and an M.B.A. Students completing this program are required to take CBM 695 but not MGT 429. The waiver, or exemption, from MGT 429 will be approved only after the student is admitted to the MBA program and provides satisfactory evidence of successful completion of CBM 695.
The M.B.A. program consists of a core of 31 credits plus three graduate level business elective courses. Electives will be scheduled based on faculty availability. Students lacking the appropriate undergraduate course work in business administration and economics or who are deficient in certain functional areas of business administration or other basic skills, may be required to take additional basic skills or foundation course work. A minimum of 24 credits above the foundation level (including CBM 695) must be taken at SVSU.
A final grade point average of 3.00 is required for graduation. No credit toward graduation is granted for courses with grades below “C.” A student may be dismissed from the program if the cumulative GPA falls below 3.00 after 12 credits have been accumulated at SVSU.