To provide a comprehensive array of baccalaureate degree programs and a select number of master’s degree programs.
- Baccalaureate degree programs are based upon a foundation in the liberal arts, the development of strong academic skills, and include studies in depth in one or more academic or professional disciplines.
- Master’s degree programs concentrate studies in fields that address the needs of the East-Central region of Michigan or take advantage of unique opportunities and particular strengths within the university.
To strive for excellence in teaching, learning, research, service and creative endeavors, and to stand as an example in those regards.
To provide academic and support services that address the educational needs of a diverse student population that varies by gender, age, ability, experience, lifestyle, cultural background and economic circumstances.
To represent and advance the ideals and values of higher education in a democratic society by:
- Pursuing and defending freedom of inquiry, thought and expression.
- Practicing and encouraging respect, integrity, civility, decency and fairness in human relationships.
- Promoting understanding among people and by people for their world.
- Maintaining an openness of opportunity for all people to reach their fullest personal and professional potential.
To contribute to the quality of life for the people of the region, state and society by:
- Providing expertise, leadership, and other support in the development of ideas and strategies for addressing social, technological, and economic issues.
- Creating, sponsoring and hosting events and activities that help people understand and appreciate the varieties of human culture, art and accomplishment.
- Promoting responsible participation in a democratic society by people both within and outside of the university community.
~ Adopted by the Board of Control on March 29, 1993